Friday, July 28, 2017

Some Thoughts About The Surnames: Bartel and Blakye / Bartlett and Blakey

I was thinking about father's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John BLAKEY / BLAKLEY Sr.  I was looking at their marriage license. In the beginning, I had a very hard time locating it.  No matter how, I spelled their surnames, they were not on the index. So, I began to search the index page by page. I know that they were married around 1902 in Missouri.

Finally, I made this discovery. I came across a John BLAKYE. He was from Carrollton, Missouri. His wife's name was Jennie BARTEL from St. Joseph, Missouri. The marriage took place in Excelsior Springs, Clay, Missouri on July 28, 1902. This was what I was searching for.

John's surname was spelled BLAKEY. The E and Y were turned around. As for Jennie, I wondered about the spelling of BARTEL. BARTLETT is the spelling that I was searching. I don't know how this could haven been misspelled.

I wondered, if BARTEL was another name to the BARTLETT family. Jennie wasn't married before John. Jennie's mother, Harriet and siblings on the 1880 and 1900 censuses were listed with the BARTLETT surname. 

What a journey this has come out to be. I can't find any other spelling of BARTEL connected to the family.  It's still a mystery.  I may have to leave it at that.

Thanks for reading.
God bless you.
S. A. Blakley

No comments:

Post a Comment