Wednesday, December 14, 2016

In Memory of Lawhorn "Doc" Blakey, Son Of Isaac and Rachel (Lephridge / Jackson) Blakey

I came across this news article in the late 1970's. It was the first written info I had on my dad's father's family history. I would wonder about each member in that article. I did come across info on most of them. I want to share what I've discovered on Lawhorn.

Here's what I've discovered about Lawhorn "Doc" Blakey.  The name Lawhorn is an unique name.  He knew a lot about animal. That's were he could have gotten the nick name "Doc".  He was born June 7, 1900 in  Missouri to Isaac and Rachel (LEPHRIDGE / JACKSON) BLAKEY.

It's not clear when  Lawhorn moved from Missouri and to South Dakota with some of his siblings. He was a laborer. He married his first wife, Mettie Holliday on June 6, 1924 in Yankton.

At some point, Doc moved to California with some of his brothers. He was believed to have married Evelyn Wilson on Dec 14, 1928 in Woodland, California. I haven't found any proof. I can't located a Dock Blakey on records in South Dakota. Lawhorn was listed in Yankton. I believe that this Dock Blakey and Doc Blakey were the same person.

On the 1928 city directory, Lawhorn was listed as a laborer. He lived at 2620 Sloat way with his brother, Archie and Archie's wife, Flora Blakey. Evelyn wasn't listed.

On the 1933 California city directory, Lawhorn was Listed with wife Roberta Blakey at 621 Q. Lawhorn was listed as a laborer. The year of their marriage is unknown. Lawhorn was listed with  Roberta on the city directories up to 1943.

On the 1944 city directory Lawhorn was listed living with sister, Edna Bentley at 1830 W St. Worked at Stevedore..

On the 1949 city directory he was listed with wife, Inez Blakey at 1821 3rd. The year of their marriage is unknown  1975 was the last directory listing Lawhorn with his wife Inez at 3424 7th Ave. Retired

According to one of Lawhorn's nieces. Lawhorn was a hunter. He had a lot of dogs.  Sometime after his wife, Inez's passing in 1974, his nephew Clarence Ollie Blakey cared for "Doc".

I did search old newpapers in California. I came across the announcement of Dock Blakey and Evelyn Wilson's marriage declaration in 1928. Also I came across an article about Lawhorn. He was cited for steal some gasoline. I don't know what the verdict was.
Lawhorn passed in Oct 17, 1977  Sacramento, California. He was the last of the Blakey siblings.
I don't  know if Lawhorn had any children. He was mostly buried in California.

Thanks for reading.
God bless you

S.A. Blakley
 

Here is the whole article: Slavery Descendants To Have First Reunion


Article written in 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment