Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Julia White Family Connections: Joshua White

Who was Joshua / Josh White?

Josh was the son of Andrew White and Julia (Finney) White. He was listed on the 1880 census with his mother, 4 brothers, 1 sister, 1 sister in law, 3 nieces and 4 nephews in Chariton County Missouri. He was listed as age 20, born in 1860 in Missouri.  He was a laborer.

Below are photos from parts of some letters my cousins sent me. They were sharing with me what the heard in our family connections.  I didn't know that there was a John BLAKE until 1985.  My grandfather was John BLAKEY / BLAKLEY. This would be confusing to figure out, who's who.
 
 
Letters from Mrs. Willie M. Winfrey And Rev. and Mrs. T.A. White 


 Letter from Willie (White) Terrill Winfrey in 1985

 Letter from Rev T.A. White and Mrs. Cleavie White in 1988.
Unfortunately, I didn't get the response who the names of Joshua's daughter.

I was re reading some of the old letters, I received from cousins, Willie Winfrey and Cleavie White. They spoke of a John BLAKE.  He was a son of Josh / Joshua White.

Joshua had two or three daughters and a son named John. John was raised by a large family with the BLAKE surname. The cousins didn't mention who Josh's three daughters by name.

I've searched the Missouri census looking for John Blake.

I believe that I've found him. It may seem to be a coincidences. But, at first, I  noticed on the 1910 census that there was a John Blake with wife, Arrette (Hayes). Also they were listed with a Mattie White. Mattie was born about 1877 in MO. Mattie was a widow. She had 5 children. Only 4 were living. However, the children's names were not listed with Mattie.

I searched to back track on who this Mattie White was. I see that Mattie may have been counted twice on the 1910 census. I came across a Mattie White who was a widow. She had 5 children with one deceased. She was listed with her 4 children;  Patrick, Alice, Ella and Jane White.

I searched to find out more about  John Blake. Who was John Blake? I came across one John who fits the description on what my cousins spoke about. This John was listed on the 1900 census with Louis and Mary Blake. John was Louis' stepson. 

As I continue to search for John Blake, I found some similarities.

It appears that John was the same John Blakey listed with Mattie on the 1910 census. John later was divorce in 1930's. Louis Blake was listed as John's father on the 1920 and 1930 census. Also on the WW II draft, Louis was listed as John's father.

According to John H. Blake's death record, he was born on May 29, 1880 in Howard County MO. He passed on Oct 5, 1930 in  Hannibal, Missouri. John's mother, was Mary Anna Johnson or Potte. 

Mary Blake was born on Dec 4, 1865 and passed away on April 15, 1918 in Howard County MO. Her parents were Merritt Potte and Becky Bentley.

Louis Blake was the son of Ceaser and Trusty Blake. Mary and Louis were married in 1885. Mary had about 12 children ; Merritt, William, Nellie, Rector, Oscar, George , Frank, Eleanor, Maggie, Corrine, (1907 - 1967) Swetzie and John Blake.

Accord to a census, this John Blake had a son named Cortez Jaco, He was born about 1926 in Missouri. and Harold Valentine who was born about 1927 in Missouri.

This is all I have come across on Joshua White and his off srpings. I hope that the descendants of Joshua White and John Blake will discover this blog. And that they could add to the family history.

Thanks for reading.
 Susan Ann Blakley

No comments:

Post a Comment