Sunday, January 28, 2018

Which Ancestor To Invite To Dinner? ~ Week 4 #52ancestors Martha Scott Blakey

Which Ancestor To Invite To Dinner? ~ Week 4 #52ancestors Martha Scott Blakey.

 If I could invite an ancestor to diner, which one would I choose? I looked at my pedigree tree. I thought about it and went down my list.

I believe that my Great Grandmother, Martha called upon the LORD. And in due time, we all will be at the dinner table. What a family reunion that will be.
________________________
 I choose my Great Grandmother, Martha Scott Blakey. Why?  I know very little about her. And it would be nice if I had an opportunity to met with her.  She was the mother of my Grandfather, John BLAKEY / Blakley.

 I don't think, I would prepare a big meal for my Great Grandmother, Martha. The real reason for our get together would be to get to know one another. I think, I would learn about from her life.
 _______________________
Through family research...What I've learned about Martha, comes from her husband ( my Great Grandfather), Isaac Blakey's Civil War pension records. I continued to search for her on census records. I couldn't determine which was my Martha Scott.

It wasn't until a few years ago, I discovered when my Great Grandparents, Isaac and Martha were married. According to Isaac's records, they knew each other for about a year to three years before they married.  That day was on Feb 13, 1870 in Wilkerson County MS. The Mississippi index had Isaac's surname as BAKER.

On June 21, 1871, Martha gave birth to twins sons on Hew Davis Plantation, in Woodlong MS. One son, Andrew Blakey passed perhaps at birth. Their other son, John was my Grandfather. I can assume that Martha died after giving birth some time in June 1871 on the plantation. She would been about 23 or 24 years old. 

 As I think about my Great Grandmother, Martha, I wonder. Who were her parents? Who were her siblings? How did Martha met Isaac? Where is she buried?

 Perhaps, Great Grandma Martha was a slave on Hew Davis Plantation or worked there after slavery. Great Grandpa Isaac somehow came to where Great Grandma Martha was. He was a MS. Union Private during the Civil War from 1863 - 1866 stationed in Natchez.

 Even though, I don't know much about my Great Grandma Martha, she was apart of my family lineage. I'm honored to be one of her off springs.

 A few years ago, I came across a photo of Isaac and his wife. I have heard about this photo. The date on the back of the photo is 1866. I thought to myself, the year. The photo was of Isaac and his 2nd wife Rachel. That couldn't be. I wondered if the date on the photo was incorrect. If so, Martha is the woman in that photo.

I've seen a copy of the photo. It's a treasure. That's the youngest photo, I've seen of my Great Grandfather, Isaac. I'm glad that the photos were taken and keep by family members.

 Thanks for reading.
God bless you.
 S.A.Blakley

No comments:

Post a Comment